Yellow blouse upcycled to dress – Project Judy
Challenge One – Yellow Patterned Dress
My first victim shall be the yellow ‘Elvi’ blouse. I put in my initial plan that I should turn this in to Brigette (a button at the back blouse) and Emmeline (a twelve dart skirt) from my Bobbins & Robbins collection. However I changed my mind and decided I could make it up as a dress.
First of all I cut the blouse in half so I had a big square of fabric. I popped this over Scarlet (my dressmakers dummy) and realized I would need very deep darts to fit so I put in twelve 3” darts all 4” long to shape waist. I realized I could use the buttons and buttonholes already in place on the existing item so I hoodwinked them. After stitching the darts I realized there were a couple all too daring slits up the length of the former blouse so stitched these up instantly to uphold some modesty.
Next for the top half, which I threw over Scarlet’s head wondering what would become of it. I put it on back to front so the buttons matched. I liked the natural cowl neck that appeared at the front and realized I could make an interesting back to the dress if I left it this way round. I gathered the top half in at the waistband, cut off the all too baggy sleeves, hemmed up the back and tucked it in. After this was all stitched I realized a little more shape was in order, so placed darts at the back and at the bust. I tried it on and saw that a few poppers would be necessary for security reasons in the length of the skirt. And that was that.
Posted: 11-04-11 | Category: Blog, Project Judy